Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Women I Love: H.D.



It's fall in Vermont and I'm hungering for the kind of literary and artistic blasts of inspiration I used to get when heading back to college in Providence each September.

There's also a Lunar Eclipse in Aries unfolding, and according to my new astrological guide (you didn't know this about me, did you? No. Nor did I. But here I am, confessing in public–) it's a time to get one's liberation on. A time to let one's wild child out of the bag. For me this is manifesting as a desire to get back to the female artists whose lives inspire, whose work turns me on, who remind me of a higher calling and a higher form of liberation.

And so I'm going on a little virtual tour, and bringing you along for the ride. There may be more than a few poets in the mix.

C.D. Wright writes: "It is a function of poetry to locate those zones inside us that would be free, and declare them so."
And who is this? This here is H.D., i.e. Hilda Doolittle, who you can read an immense amount about if you follow the link.

To our freedom, in its variant forms, friends.

-R