Thursday, February 6, 2014

love child






Today's menu: taking a break from laundry after an epic stomach bug/snow day to stare at this pile of books on my desk.

Drinking: chai

Thinking: What awesome collections of words in this randomly composed pile. Also: I would like my next book to be the love child of these ones.

What are they, you ask?

1. Once the Shore, by Paul Yoon. A beautiful, lyrical, quiet, empathetic and haunting set of stories set on an island in South Korea.

2. Bluets, by Maggie Nelson, which I've written about here.

3. The Seed Underground, which I've written about here.

4. The Writing Life by Annie Dillard. (So good.)

5. Yellow Woman and a Beauty of the Spirit by Leslie Marmon Silko. A collection of Silko's essays, including some on (my favorite topic) landscape & sense of place.

6. Gaston Bachelard's classic The Poetics of Space, which I have flipped through every six months for the last ten years but never sat down and actually read.

7. Terry Tempest Williams' beaut Refuge.

8. Rebecca Solnit's A Field Guide to Getting Lost. (So good.)

9. Terry Tempest Williams' When Women Were Birds. (So good.)

And there you have it. That love child would be both beautiful and bril, eh?

Happy day to you all. Here the sun is shining, the snow is deep, and I haven't been thrown up on since 5 am. Things are looking good!


~R