Saturday, December 14, 2013

heat

Cottage in the Woods by Becca Stadtlander


5:30 am. I can't remember the last time I was up before my children. Tea, tree lights, wood stove cranking. 2 degrees outside, 50 degrees in the kitchen. I spent all day yesterday dreaming of wood stoves. All I want is more of them. One in every corner of my many-cornered house.

We heat our (now) 1500 sq. foot house exclusively with one wood stove which would be fine if our house weren't really a series of little houses patched together and if the central cornerstone of those houses wasn't built when we were twenty-five on a budget of about one-thousand dollars. (I.e. some of these windows and walls are, to say the least, drafty.)

I.e. I am sick of my fingers being cold.

I.e., blessed be the wood stove.

I.e. how many wood stoves might a small, many-cornered house hold?