Tuesday, November 19, 2013

today's menu: bluets

Today's Menu

Reading: Bluets, by Maggie Nelson

Drinking: loose leaf Irish Breakfast

Thinking: This book was delivered to me mid-summer by one friend who had travelled to the midwest and visited with another friend who handed her a stack of books to send my way. This has sat on my bedside table since then (alongside Goodnight Moon, Pippi Longstocking, and far too many Sandra Boynton books).

I've picked it up occasionally and thought, oh, to be an adult reading. And then that moment has passed, for endless and myriad reasons.

But this past week I found myself with a handful of reading opportunities (mostly having to do with a fevered baby who needed to nurse 24/7), which allowed me to pick up, at long last, in the quiet of mid-morning, Bluets.

It's beautiful. It reminds me of the things I wrote as a senior in college: fragmented, intellectual, deeply personal. (How surreally far off that era--and its accompanying heartbreak--feel.)

It also contains some underlining by that friend in the midwest, which means her ghost is in the room with me, reading along.

Conflations of all kinds.

I'll stop here--said baby is sure to wake any moment. If you want to know more you can read my friend Michelle's thoughts about the book, and an excerpt, here.

(Many thanks, friends.)