Friday, September 13, 2013

postcards



I hope you'll read this essay in Gwarlingo, Postcards from a Prison Teacher, that my dear friend Jennifer Bowen Hicks wrote about the Minnesota Prison Writing Workshops.

It's one of those stories that renews one's faith in the world, at least a little. And one's faith in writing and teaching.

It's also a kick in the butt and deeply humbling.

To top it all off, it's written by JBH herself, which means it's so beautifully and tenderly and honestly written it's got a whole subtext going on that will engage your chest along with your head. What do I mean?

Lines like this:

I don’t believe we ascend after we die unless through soil that feeds Jack pines that make oxygen that encourage breath and birdsong. 

What are you going to do with your lives? (And by you, I mean me.)

Morning to you all,
R