Tuesday, June 18, 2013

the violet needle and the gray star

Morning. It's summer and I've got my mornings back--an hour at the start of each day where I can hole away in my bed or in the cabin in the backyard with a cup of tea and words. I'm working on shit--or trying to, these days. But before I dive, headfirst, into that tenuous land, I'll share a poem from my new favorite collection, The Ecopoetry Anthology, edited by Ann Fisher-Wirth and Laura Gray Street. Didactic, pedagogic, moralistic? Sure. Also--beautiful. I'll keep throwing you some of my daily faves. 

Today, one from Jean Valentine, with whom I share a birthday. 

~R



The Badlands Said

I am the skull
under your hundred doubts. I, I
will be with you always.
Heart's-deprive.
Still numinous and alive.
Elephant's side.

Come lie down, 
tooth and bone.

Ya, ya,
from a mile high
I crook you up warm,
rabbit-arm.

I am love's sorrow,
the desert's violet needle and gray star. 

--Jean Valentine


(PS: I love photos of young poets smoking)