Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Today's Menu: Erasure




Reading: This beautiful essay, "On Forgetting and Other Natural Erasures" by Jennifer Chang.

Drinking: Typhoo

Thinking: It's 5 am and I'm up even before Ed, the new noisy rooster. Why do I love this essay so much? For one, I spent a lot of time, between the ages of sixteen and twenty-two, on desert roads listening to Joni Mitchell. I know all about that particular cocktail of loneliness, freedom, heartbreak and desert air. I drove my grandmother's 1978 Toyota, with four of the most worn tires I've ever seen, hundreds of miles. It's a miracle I didn't end up overturned by the side of the road. Two, I'm kind of crazy for the prose that poets write. They've learned not to take one word (or breath) for granted. In my next life I want to be a poet who writes essays (and live in a minimalist house, too--ha).