Thursday, January 31, 2013

mink river


Today's Menu: Mink River, by Brian Doyle

Drinking: Tea of all kinds

Thinking: You should all go read this book. You should all go read this book. It is the most beautiful, outrageous, ridiculous, loving, inclusive, over-the-top, humble, faith-driven, startling, magical, tender and affirming thing I've read in a long time. Affirming of my love of fiction and affirming of life (and love and messiness and the human spirit in all its deep and misguided confusion).  It has made me grateful for this kick-in-the-butt-cold which kept me in bed all day yesterday so I could finish reading it. (Is that why I got the cold?)

And in case you want a taste of this Doyle writer before making the leap (because this book is not cheap), I recommend reading this essay about imagining foxes and this one about leaping.

Damn does this man have a way with words.

Good morning to you all from these rain soaked (yes, rain soaked) woods.

~Robin