Wednesday, August 22, 2012

a room of my own

Mornin'. I have tea. The sun is shining. And today is my day to decide on windows for the small addition we're building onto our small house. A year ago I wrote this essay, "Porous, Or, Why my Tiny, Not-Finished House is Just Fine." In it I proclaimed I like living in small spaces because it forces us to make the outdoors an extension of our home. Which is something I still believe. But I'm also a hypocrite: thus the small addition to our small house following the small (Cricket-sized) addition to our household. Because as much as I believe in small, economical spaces, I also desperately want a room of my own. And in this new house design? I get one! It's about four by six feet, or 24 square feet, with a slanting attic roof under which I get to have a desk, a bookshelf, and a place of my own to write and drink tea for about, oh, ten minutes a day. And doesn't that sound delightful? 

Happy dreamin' to you too.
~R

V. Woolf, of course