Monday, January 9, 2012

Today's Menu

Reading: Best American Short Stories of 2011, edited by Geraldine Brooks

Drinking: Chai

Thinking: I'd love to read these stories with others. So far (I'm five stories in) I've been slayed by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi's "Ceiling," Megan Mayhew Bergman's "Housewifely Arts," and Nathan Englander's "Free Fruit for Young Widows." They're the ones I can't get out of my head. Rich with time and place.

And my dear teacher Jess Row's story "The Call of Blood" is coming up: one I already know I love.

But what I find myself craving? A little more quiet, subtle beauty. Transporting tenderness.

You?

3 comments:

  1. You've probably heard people say write what you crave, yes? I wonder if your cravings do (or ought to) show up in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...write what we crave. Transporting tenderness: I'm going to go sing you into every story I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. Go sing you lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete